Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Life is Definitely an Adventure

I know I don't post like I should or even want to, but it seems that I find things that fill my time.  Plus, I don't have any really fun adventures to share with everyone.  I do check my friends' blogs at least once a week and I decided I should do my duty and update everyone on my life. 

School-
Yes, school.  I started working on the ol' B.S. degree last January.  I'm enrolled this Fall in 11 credits and its pretty much KILLING me.  I work an average of about 10 hours a day and then I spend 6-7 hours a night on homework.  When I went to college originally, I could function on 4 hours of sleep and still be somewhat coherent to what was going on in my life.  Now, I can't do that.  I keep getting told its because I'm old, but I don't feel that old, but when the alarm goes off at 5 a.m. for work, I'm feeling it.  I'm enrolled in a Humanities class, a Critical Writing class, a Religion class, and a Science class.  The one I'm enjoying the most is the Science class.  It is a class about natural disasters.  I have always found them fascinating, so its been enjoyable.  The only problem is all of the websites we are required to use are shut down because of the Government being shut down.  Gotta love the U.S. Government.  The class that gives me the most trepidation is the Critical Writing class.  I have always been able to write a letter or talk to people in writing, but I've never been a great author of papers longer than a page and a half.  That's going to have to change since I have a 20 page paper to do for my final in the class.  Its pretty intense so far, but I have to say that I'm learning a lot.  That's a good thing.  So, here we go, another semester to conquer :)

Home-
Well, owning a home has been an adventure.  Someone once told me its a money pit.  Never believed it until I actually owned one.  Its insane the amount of work it takes to keep a home up and running.  The people that owned my home previously nickel and dimed everything, so nothing was ever fixed properly.  I'm finding that out as time goes on.  I need to replace my sewer line at the cost of around $6,000.  My stove is going out, same with the dishwasher.  I just keep praying that everything continues to work.  I had a roommate move out in January and money has been extremely tight.  I keep praying for a roommate, so I can get the things fixed that I need to, but to no avail.  Its been a difficult and learning experience.  I just keep hoping things will continue to work out. 

Church-
Well, I go to Church every Sunday.  I currently play the organ and play the piano for the choir.  Nothing really new, just the same ol' stuff. 

Dating-
Well, this doesn't happen.  Moving on . . . .

Work-
Work has been really crazy.  Our administration decided a few months ago to combine the Registration and the Admissions office into one office.  With that, came added responsibilities, on top of the responsibilities I currently have.  I'm still running the admissions processes for domestic and international students, but I have also been learning the international processes once they are in the country.  I am also learning how the registration process works and trying to figure that all out.  Then I have been assigned the customer service portion, which makes me the supervisor over all of the student employees.  It has been a period of flux, and I'm trying to keep my head up, but I feel like I'm drowning at the same time.  So, I keep hoping that my Heavenly Father will give me the stamina to keep going. 

So, there's my life in a nutshell.  I'm posting some pictures so you can see what I've been up to :)

 Baby blankets that I made.  I have made around 6 sets of these this Summer.  Everyone seems to be having babies.  Nothing wrong with that, I enjoy making them :)

 I had the opportunity to go on a quilting retreat this August.  It was in Tetonia, ID.  You can see the Idaho side of the Tetons from the front porch of the place we stayed.  It was so much fun.  There were 10 of us and we quilted late, slept in and just enjoyed each other's company :)

 I had fun doing some canning before school started.  I made salsa from my parents tomatoes and then I canned peaches that a friend brought over to me.  I love having stuff I've bottled.  I know its good :)
This is a watercolor quilt I made.  It was a fun project to do.  Now to finish it up and hang it up. 

3 comments:

BECKY said...

Loved your update! :). I wouldn't survive on that sleep either! Times have changed so much!

Laura said...

Thanks for the update Dawn! If you need writing exercises feel free to post some of your stuff on your blog. Maybe that will get the creative juices flowing. :) You sound busy and optimistic with the adventures life is bringing. Come what may and love it! Keep up the good work!

Our Corner said...

your quilt is beautiful. Love the watercolors. :)